[BLAST_TOF] minor setback

From: Peter Karpius (karpiusp@einstein.unh.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 17:59:53 EDT

As soon as I arrived at Bates I noticed the scalers not showing some of
the small paddles with cosmics. Not a low rate did they have but none.
Fearing the worst I went to the south hall. Here is the damage report:

ALL five small paddles fell from there mountings and were hanging by the
cables near the pit floor when I got there.

One small paddle base was destroyed....
and sadly, yes, Left TOF#3 bottom was apparently struck by the falling
paddle and the lightguide is clearly broken. Out of commission...
or should I say out of commissioning?

I sprang into action and recruited Sal the RPO to help me as I am alone on
shift.

First, I tested the four intact paddles with prior to mounting. Only
three of them gave any signal. Sal and I then remounted the small paddles
as follows.

We tied a rope in such a way that it traverses the test paddle area and
will not slip. Then we used cable ties to connect the paddles to the
rope. Then we aligned the paddles with the test TOFs with duct tape. The
rope is now the main load bearing support instead of the tape.

Small paddle on borrowed signal/HV channel 5 is covering LTOF0.
Small paddle on borrowed signal/HV channel 12 is covering LTOF14.
Small paddle on borrowed signal/HV channel 13 is covering LTOF15.

I have not taken any data yet as the beam is not ready. I am still
working on testing things and hopefully will be ready to take data when
the beam is ready.

                                        Pete