9/26/02 evening shift summary

From: Aaron Joseph Maschinot (ajmasch@MIT.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 00:26:00 EDT

Hello, All:

Tonight, the wire target unit screwed up again. It wouldn't physically
move. The whole affair is documented in the logbook; I won't go over all
the details again. Suffice it to say that, in the end, it turned out
that the current to the motor in the unit needed to be increased. This
wasn't fully figured out until around 10:30pm.

At this point I started to take some runs at varying thresholds. Runs
1870, 1874, and 1876 correspond to sense wire voltages of 3700V
and thresholds of 3V, 5V, and 7V, respectively. Overall, the signal to
noise ratio never got much better (as was the hope in changing the
thresholds).

I tried one more run at a sense wire voltage of 3650V and a threshold of
3V. This was run 1877.

Overall, no good threshold/sense wire voltage combination was found. For
Tomorrow (Thursday), I told CCR to open the hall...

A. Maschinot