[BLAST_SHIFTS] 10/02/2002

From: Adrian T Sindile (asindile@cisunix.unh.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 20:58:18 EDT

Before CCR started to tune the beam in the ring, the following cosmics runs
were taken for the TOFs:
- 1993 (55K events): left TOFs (cosmicLTOF.settings);
- 1995 (40K events): right TOFs (cosmicRTOF.settings);
- 2000 (46K events): all TOfs (cosmicTOF.settings);

CODA did a pretty good job this time, as I followed Karen's suggestion of
disconnecting the WC TDC stops from the fastbus crates, thus preventing
the huge event size to shut us down.

I looked at run 2000 and, comparing the TOF ADCs with the ones from runs
871 and 875 (taken in July), I arrived at the conclusion that a fine-tuning
of the TOF gains with cosmics should aim for channel 1650, as a first
iteration (then we should look into the pedestals more carefully, but
that is second order).
This is different from the DTF target of about channel 1150 and it is due,
of course, to the fact that the TOFs are vertical now (cosmics have now a
longer path in the TOF plastic).

All the ADC values are recorded in the TOF logbook - I could not find the
commissioning logbook anywhere - please make sure you always leave it in
the counting room!

Tong will take over for WC studies with beam (I will just be watching his
back) when CCR tells us they are ready, for now I had to put the voltages
on standby for safety reasons; I also wanted to look at a few TOF tubes on
the scope for reference, but the beam is coming....

Adrian

Adrian Sindile
Research Assistant
email: asindile@alberti.unh.edu