[BLAST_SHIFTS] one good day (same day, though)

From: Adrian T Sindile (asindile@cisunix.unh.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 22:20:16 EDT

Well, today I actually felt good - because I felt like a Bates employee.
My purpose for the day was (in the end) to let everything working so that
the next 16 hours of beam are not totally wasted. I succeded in that, so I
felt good: by 8 PM everything was back up and running.

I even managed to take a 200K event run (#2145) with cosmics for the
newest TOF voltages. I did not have time to look at all of it, so I will
have to see how the ADCs compare to the target channels I wanted after
taking pedestals into account... I might need more tweaking, but this is
getting done.

A few comments:
- there is careless handling of the cables in the DTF; I found (and Nick
was there to confirm) a lot of messed up pins on the VME and fastbus
crates due to reckless handling. People should not push blindly a cable
that might seem stuck - it will not give a signal in the end and we will
need new cables and crates soon. THAT IS MONEY AND TIME, AND WORK TOO!
- all the cables we have been using were hand-picked when we installed
them; that was a lot of work and in the last couple of weeks I am seeing
many of them getting flaky due to repeated plugging and unplugging for
whatever purpose.

Now, since I am getting more and more the feeling that it is not clear
what I consider my responsibilities, and what my effort is (has been)
focused on, I would like to take this opportunity to stress it.

I am Adrian - not just "part of the UNH group" or part of the "trigger
group" etc. (sometimes I feel like I am losing my individuality and I like
clear - not blurry - things and responsibilities).

So far, I have been involved in:
- building the TOFs;
- testing the TOFs for efficiency;
- testing the TOFs for time resolution;
- energy loss simulations and GEANT support for the TOFs and timing
studies;
- timing up the DAQ system (following John's procedure);
- designing the MySQL database;
- writing the Moller generator.
I will continue to provide support for all of the above;

I was never (nor I ever intended to be) involved with Cerenkovs, neutron
bars or any other system, so I do not want to "inherit" another (new or
not quite working) system.
The UNH detector project was the TOF scintillators (Peter and I have been
working on them from the beginning) and if I am to be part of getting
other systems into the trigger, then those systems should be THOROUGHLY
tested before we do the timing for them...

Adrian

Adrian Sindile
Research Assistant
email: asindile@alberti.unh.edu