Re: [BLAST_SHIFTS] student shifts

From: Douglas Hasell (hasell@MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 01:03:25 EDT

I don't know where these statistics have come from but I certainly disagree
with the numbers. Since most of the past 7 weeks has involved work for the
wire chambers; Adam and Aaron have worked far more than a total of 22
shifts. If this isn't reflected in the accounting system then it is the
accounting system which is flawed.

The method of calling for volunteers for shifts is badly biased. The first
people to read the E-mail and who are inclined to respond can choose the
better shifts. Evidence the last appeal for shifts left all the overnights
for the coming weekend vacant. A better system which I hope will be put in
place when we are running would be to assign shifts according to the number
of authors on the papers and divide those evenly across the three shifts.
But this is only makes sense when we are running routinely next year.

In the commissioning phase we need the experts for the components being
commissioned to take most of the shifts because they understand what needs
to be done and can solve the problems. If a second body is needed this can
come from the general collaboration but if the work is simply taking runs
from the counting bay then I question the need for a second person.

--On Tuesday, October 15, 2002 9:57 PM -0400 John Calarco
<jrc@einstein.unh.edu> wrote:

> This is a message to BLAST students and their advisors. We are in
> the midst of commissioning BLAST (just in case you hadn't heard)
> and we are in desperate need of students to take shifts. I have
> recently sent out another request for volunteers for shifts for
> later this week, with the usual lack of response. Following is a
> list of shifts by graduate students on BLAST for the last 7 weeks.
>
> Sindile 18
> Karpius 17
> Filoti 16
> Degrush 13
> Maschinot 9
> Crawford 8
> C. Zhang 6
> Meitanis 5
> Xiao 2
> Seely 2
> Ziskin 2
> Clasie 0
> Y. Zhang 0
> Stave 0
> (Burton 0) but I think Richard said he was no longer in the program
>
> The message is clear. A few students are carrying the load for the many.
> It is time for advisors to kick some grad student butt, or decide they
> are no longer interested in theses on BLAST. We need people on shift if
> we are going to successfully commission this detector. Please see my
> earlier message: there are 4 weekend shifts lacking any volunteers.
>

> --
> John R. Calarco
> Dept. of Physics
> Univ. of New Hampshire
> Durham, NH 03824
> phone: (603)862-2088
> FAX: (603)862-2998
> email: calarco@unh.edu

                                                  Cheers,
                                                          Douglas

26-415 M.I.T. Tel: +1 617 258 7199
77 Massachusetts Avenue Fax: +1 617 258 5440
Cambridge, MA 02139 E-mail: hasell@mit.edu