Re: [BLAST_SHIFTS] summary 10-18, 10-19

From: Adrian T Sindile (asindile@cisunix.unh.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 22:09:16 EDT

Hi, everybody!

> We had various problems in the D-tunnel all through saturday morning.
> Things seemed ok but inded we were sending a wroing gate to the tof;s

This was my diagnostic on Thursday at 4 PM - John, Peter and Tancredi
heard it then... it was dismissed later that night when Tancredi
recommended people not to jump to conclusions analyzing runs taken while
cables were plugged and unplugged.

> I believe that the hv of the tof's should increase by more than 10-20V
> and maybe should go 10 % from the current voltage, for starters. I talked
> to johjn and he also agrees that the first priority is gain matching...
> That is done with cosmics so requires no accelerator operation in the
> ring.

This is again no news since all last week I was struggling to do it while
people did not seem concerned about it, giving it apparently a very low
priority. Tuesday was used for beam studies, Wednesday I was
troubleshooting bad TDC cables installed earlier, Thursday I was only able
to get back meaningful TDCs and come up with the above diagnostic.
I honestly think that, in order to be efficient, everybody should
doublecheck their own work: if somebody makes some cables, that person
should be responsible for making good cables, if somebody installs/swaps
cables, that person should make sure everything is back as before etc. -
no particular person in mind here.
I do not mind troubleshooting, but it is easier for whoever makes a change
to make sure everything is OK. Otherwise, I would have to check all the
DAQ system before every cosmic run I take...

> Hopefully tavi and adrian will carry us far enough that the we can use
> beam again tomorrow evening. Manouch is "cancelling" CCR shifts. I cancel
> the night shift of tonight. Tavi and Adrian are the nextg people on shift.

I will personally do my best, but as of now I have no idea what state the
TOFs are in and why, all of a sudden, after run 2145 on October 9th
(anyone could check to see it was very close to the ADC target channels
found in the TOF logbook) everything stopped working properly.

I think I still need two or three shifts with no beam and with
recognized high priority - I am back at the starting point now. Please let
me know if the DAQ will be modified again soon in any way - we need a
stable setup for fine-tuning.

Regards,