[BLAST_SHIFTS] shifts

From: John Calarco (jrc@einstein.unh.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 23:46:15 EDT

First, to those of you who volunteered for shifts today, many thanks,
and your requests have been added.

Second, I would like to suggest a slight modification to Aaron for
his plan. If you will organize the students according to your
priorities for 30 shifts/week, i will try to get faculty, staff,
and postocs to cover the other 12. The 30 would be allocated as:

  M-F 0000-0800 2 students
      0800-1600 1 student
      1600-2400 1 student
  S-S 0000-0800 2 students
      0800-1600 1 student
      1600-2400 2 students

Although a random rotation is very democratic, some attention to
the tasks at hand needs to be taken into account for the sake of
efficiency and productivity. This does not mean that both students
on a given shift should be "experts". On the contrary, one should
be a learner. We are far too short handed to depend on a few
experts on each system. We all need to come up to at least a
minimum competency level on all systems if we ever hope to have
long production runs. Being the "second" on a commissioning shift
provides a valuable learning experience.

That said, the primary focus for the next few weeks is to get into
the position to make the milestone measurement of a first double
polarization asymmetry. In order to get there by mid-November,
there is a lot of work to be done. Tancredi and I have taken a first
pass at the tasks following an organizational meeting this afternoon.
Here is our best guess:

(1) For this week, 10/21-10/28, the hall will be open during day
shifts through Wednesday. This will allow work with cosmics to
proceed and additional mag shielding to be added to the TOFs, while
ABS installation proceeds. Gain matching will be done on the TOFs.
During the latter half of the week, the start counter will be
installed as well as the small paddles, and TOF efficiencies will
be measured. ABS measurements will also proceed during the latter
half of the week. That means that students on 0000-0800 need to be
experts on the appropriate systems. However, there will be experts
available during the days and evenings M-F. WC people may want to
look at their system with the SC and paddles in place.

(2) During the week of 10/28-11/4, the focus on the detectors will
shift to the Cerenkovs. We expect beam will be on most of the time,
and Cerenkov efficiencies will be measured using the SC, TOFs, and
small paddles. WC people will WANT to run during this time.

(3) During the week of 11/4-11/11, detector work will focus on the
neutron bars. WC work can proceed at its pace. The hall will be
opened at some point to connect the ABS to the target cell. If all
goes according to the plan just outlined, we should be in position
to run polarized e's on polarized H at the end of this time.

This is an ambitious but workable plan. However it will take the
full effort of ALL students, staff, and faculty involved in the
project. We want 2 people assigned to shifts 24 hrs, 7 days. If
shifts get cancelled, there will be work to do with tuneup with
cosmics and plentiful analysis.

--
John R. Calarco
Dept. of Physics