Re: [BLAST_SHIFTS] runplan till 10/28

From: Simon Sirca (sirca@crex.fiz.uni-lj.si)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 11:48:04 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, zhangchi wrote:

> a block on a PC is what, a few killo?

I think 512K Adrian mentions is not what the C++ guys are referring to.
Perhaps they meant the filesystem block sizes which are usually limited
to 4K or 8K (although Linux only supports 4K on i686 machines, and 4K
is also the page size), not the fragment sizes, which are indeed (usually)
512K.

> I welcome any suggestion to go arround these limits

Instead of bypassing the limits, perhaps we should think about fishing
for such details of the code as subscript overflows. At least in the
Blast code this can be done by furnishing critical memory allocations
with exception catching. Every failure in new() can be made to throw
an exception which can be caught (and handled). Before accusing Draw()
(which, however, is not an unlikely candidate) one could check if our
side of the code performs as it should.

Simon

--
  Simon Sirca
  Dept of Physics, University of Ljubljana   Tel: +386 1 4766-574