[BLAST_SHIFTS] Spin-flipper running

From: Bill Franklin (wafrankl@mit.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 11:41:00 EST

Since Wednesday evening, tests of a spin-flipping dipole for the Ring have
been in progress. The tests, carried out in conjunction with Compton
polarimeter measurements, have demonstrated that we are able to flip the
polarization of stored beams in the Ring. Until Sunday morning, we will
continue to optimize and document the flipper efficiency. These tests
will be done at low beam currents and without target gas flowing. On
Sunday, we will then attempt to raise the beam current as high as possible
and run the spin flipper in conjunction with an internal target.

I would like for people on the weekend BLAST shifts to participate in data
acquisition with the polarimeter and operation of the rf-dipole. The run
has been going pretty well and it will be a good chance for members of the
collaboration to become familiar with these systems. In addition, the
BLAST field will be turned on when today's access is completed, so there
will be a chance to look at background rates in BLAST with flipper
operating.

Bill

Wilbur A. Franklin			*  Phone: 617-253-9518
Bates Linear Accelerator Center		*  FAX:	  617-253-9599
P.O. Box 846				*  Email: wafrankl@mit.edu
Middleton, MA 01949			*