[BLAST_SHIFTS] flasher attenuation & PMT / base stuff

From: Peter Karpius (karpiusp@einstein.unh.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 17:42:57 EST

I began to address the problem of attenuating the flasher today. With the
help of Billy in the machine shop we created a threaded coupling that
allows
attachment of our existing attenuators to the main input of the splitter
box. With no attenuation the photodiode signal in the D-tunnel is ~62mV.
I was able to achieve 18mV, 12mV, and 5mV with various attenuators. As
one example of TOF signal. RTOF2bot gave a flasher signal of 6 V on the
scope without attenuation. With the "18mV attenuator" I saw 2 V for this
TOF. As all the TOF signals for the flasher are different I think the
next step is taking data. I will try this on Monday after Karen checks
the DAQ with physics triggers.

Also, I searched for and found spare/used PMTs and bases. I found what I
believe to be 4 spare PMTs and 4 spare bases. I also found 4 "used" PMTs
as these were unwrapped/marked as bad. I found one base marked as bad.
I put the spare PMT's, still in there sealed boxes, on top of the cabinet
in the BLAST counting bay. I put the spare bases in the cabinet. The
used tubes and bases were placed, for now, on the table next to the Sun.
(not the actual sun mind you!)

                                        Pete

Pete Karpius
Graduate Research Assistant