[BLAST_ANAWARE] debug flag for DGen

From: zhangchi (zhangchi@general.lns.mit.edu)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 22:17:48 EDT

Hi, for those who are interested in using DGen, please turn on the debug
flag when doing configuration:

configure --enable-debug

Some how without this flag linking of DGen to blastmc will not be done
properly and vetecis will not be passed to blastmc from DGen.

I suspect the debug flag turns off some optimization therefore make some
variable accessible through their address instead of being optimized
away in C++, for instance, a constant float may well be literally put to
every expression it appears in instead of being store in memory and
accessed when called for.

Since Fortran passes arguments by address, it is conceivable that address
optimization may cause link problem with fortran. Unfortunately in DGen I
followed some principles to make address optimization easier for compiler.

The problem happened to Vitaliy, me and today to Jason, so I feel it
necessary to make an anouncement before I can locate the bug and fix it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.