Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] cvs and version of reconstruction for user blast

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 11:19:17 EDT

hi tancredi,

Tancredi Botto wrote:

>I wanted to make a note about cvs to all users of the blast online
>analysis. You may already recognize this system from last year. If you
>have problems contact me.
>
>We have a fluid reconstruction software and not eveybody feels comfortable
>with cvs. For this reason we often "tag" the reconstruction code. However,
>a) you can't tag everyday b) after a tag you can't submit even a minute

i sent out instructions a while ago to revert to the code at an
arbitrary point in time. [BLAST_ANAWARE] cvs: reverting back to an
earlier untagged version
<http://blast.lns.mit.edu/BlastTalk/archive/1396.html>

also, i have been submitting changes to tags (just bugfixes of course).
 each tag (i.e. v2_18) has an associated branch (ie. b2_18) with the
latest fixes.

>change (to the tag) and you have to go back to the head of branch (where
>you'll receive also all other changes).
>
>Presently the reconstruction code is on cvs branch 2, the last tagged
>version is v2_18 (see below). On the blast account we have the cvs_v2.18
>and cvs_v2 directories. Obviously in cvs_v2 we have the latest code, the
>one that has already surpassed v2_18 and is presently in use. In cvs_v2.18
>we have an earlier working copy of the sources.
>
>The libBlast and nsed versions used online are compiled in the cvs
>directory. They are then copied to ~/lib and ~/bin respectively (e.g.
>cp -rp libBlast.so ~/lib/libBlast.so.2.18b). The lib (bin) directory is
>effectively a repository of all compiled copies of libBlast.so.XXX
>(nsed.XXX), each with a version number. When I compile in cvs_v2 the first
>time the version number is v2a. If I update cvs_v2 and compile again the
>version number is v2b and so on...

these versions will only be useful to the person who compiled them,
since after the directory 'cvs_v2' changes, only that person will have a
clue what was compiled. i still suggest tagging a new version each time
you have something important enough to compile and install in the blast
library.

if you want to go back and make changes to b2_18, (only bugfixes), you
can check them in and tag them as v2_18_1, v2_18_2, etc.

>** In ~/lib, (~/bin) the symbolic link libBlast.so (nsed) points to the
>one copy effectively in use ** This is more than enough to always know
>what you are using. You can link to any of those versions from your
>account. You can run diffs with the object files left in the ~/cvs.

the object files don't tell you anything about what changed.

>Similarly it is done for the montecarlo (from the v3 branch in cvs_v3)
>
>If you need to change libBlast version I suggest you first link to your
>desired object from the LOCAL you are working from (e.g. the analysis
>directory). This will always work since . is first in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
>Only people that really know what they are doing should update the
>cvs directory and recompile.
>
>Note that in the future we may have only one cvs version (e.g. v3) but
>I can imagine we will still be using tags for convenience.

yeah. very soon, we won't have the v2 branch to worry about anymore,
but we will still tag v3_x snapshots.

--chris