Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] [BLAST_SHIFTS] HITs vs TOF online

From: Tancredi Botto (tancredi@mitlns.mit.edu)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 11:53:07 EDT

Peter, what you have done is excellent. Except that it crashed
dblast07 last night. We should look into that first...

However, I am not a fan of dancing lights per se.

I am also not a fan of popping up 1 canvas for the tofs, 1 canvas for the
cc, 1 canvas for the nc and on and on. It'll simply not work and we simply
don't have acres of screenspace, plus our necks are delicate instruments.

Before you spend too much time on we can make this a lot more useful with
a few design considerations. Somehow we already discussed this and i think
a better scheme is emerging.

- experience of last night shows you really need compiled code

- But 10 codes are bad (see above). So you need a code that fills
  10 histograms instead.

- Also we stick everything into dblast07 while we have two 2 Ghz, 1 Gb
  machine showing epics screens only.. This is related to /tmp/et_sys_pro2003

_ I am working on a way to make the et data visible from a cross
  mounted directory. Then we can use cpu and memory from unused machines.

- You can override a root file containing histograms periodically and
  still browse/refresh them from root with no problems.

- Then you have all the data at once, you use the cpu once, you have all
  histograms. If we define histograms well we are already carrying a lot
  of data analysis while we take data.

- This is the Cola++ model. From a data display it evolved into a
  complete online analysis tool. We may never have a chance to do a
  full analysis due to the reconstruction speed. But we can still see
  data flowing, wire hit distribution, all the raw stuff.

- Open to suggestions.

Tancredi Botto, phone: +1-617-253-9204 mobile: +1-978-490-4124
research scientist MIT/Bates, 21 Manning Av Middleton MA, 01949