[BLAST_SHIFTS] Morning shift 05/24/03

From: Aaron Joseph Maschinot (ajmasch@MIT.EDU)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 07:59:51 EDT

we continued with asymmetry measurements this morning. initially, adam
asked for some time to get the new HV daemon up and running. once this
was done, we proceeded to take data using the new daemon. as the new
daemon currently stands, it is only necessary to push standby before a new
fill. the daemon will automatically place everything at operating
voltages after a fill is completed.

some things to note about the daemon:
  1. when standby is pushed on the daemon, the BQM high voltages drop
      down, also. this probably shouldn't be the case, as the BQM's are
      needed during a fill.
  2. the wire chambers appear to take about 10-15 seconds longer than the
      TOFs to reach operating voltage. since the data inhibit is removed
      after the TOFs reach operating voltage, you can end up with a fair
      amount of chamber-less data, especially on multi-fill runs. maybe
      the chambers can somehow be included in the data inhibit???

also, once or twice, we noticed that, after a fill, the BQM rates would
occasionally be 2-3 times as high as normal. this seemed to happen
sporadically. as such, after we noticed this, we limited each run to only
one fill, so as to guarantee that a "bad" BQM-rate fill wasn't included
into good-rate data.

asymmetry measurements were done on runs 502, 505-509, and 511-512. the
results are attached.

aaron and michael