Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] electronics map and MySQL

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 11:51:22 EDT

hi adrian,
  is the electronics map information ever used straight from mysql? i
know that the analysis software only uses a file, which will be read
from mysql. if there is nothing else using it, then i would suggest
saving some work and only keeping the files up-to-date.
--chris

Adrian T Sindile wrote:

> Hi, Doug, Chris!
> I thought about this (on my way home from shift) and I think one solution
> would be the following:
> - I can write a ROOT macro and whenever we change a TDC, ADC cable
> position (crate, slot, channel) we could use that macro to update the
> current electronics information in the database;
> - the macro updates the database and then saves the electronics info in a
> file formatted like the current electronics.map. In the name of the file
> we could have timestamp information (like Chris did for the trigger
> settings);
> - when we start a CODA run, a script (started by the Prestart button)
> looks for the most recent electronics.map file and writes that file's name
> to the RUN table, for future reference, so we know what electronics map
> was used for each run.

this will be a very useful feature!

> I think this solution achieves the following:
> - we only update information once, with the ROOT macro, in the MySQL
> database (we do not manually modify any files - we should NOT have to do
> that, as the database is meant to help eliminate such redundancies);
> - we always have the current information in the database and we do not
> have to modify anything there, as this was the original design of the
> database;
> - we have a history of files used for each run, and we do not have to
> modify all the reconstruction code, which will still be using files, not
> the database (that could require a lot of work and the reconstruction
> people probably have other issues to work on right now).

yeah

> - we could use the same aproach for epics map, trigger settings, scaler
> map.

yeah