[BLAST_ANAWARE] IMPORTANT for BLAST analysis and software

From: Adrian T Sindile (asindile@cisunix.unh.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 09:35:36 EDT

Thank you, Chris!
I will try v2_15. Meanwhile, I want to say something that has been on my
mind for a while, please READ ON... others have been saying it too, maybe
not too loud (see Chi's email about lrn freezing two days ago:

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Chris Crawford wrote:
> hi, adrian
> sounds like something tancredi added, w/o checking the mc. i'll fix
> it before tagging the new version v2_20 today. for the meantime, you
> can try v2_18, or v2_15 (if 18 doesn't work.)

I have been signaling that lots of macros that are tampered with become
full of bugs etc. (not to mention that some were written so they give
you 20 errors from the start, probably with the hope that others will fix
them). The official advice I got one time was that "I have permission to
fix them" - I consider this arrogant at least.

I think it is time we get serious about shooting ourselves in the foot, so
people who obviously do not understand programming should keep away from
the common codes in the blast area. It is not a shame not to be a software
guru, and nobody knows everything, so why try hard to mess up common code?
It would be a great help for everybody...

Adrian