[BLAST_ANAWARE] ROOT and user functions...

From: Kevin McIlhany (mcilhany@usna.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 02:35:58 EDT

I have been trying to start an analysis and was
hoping to find the same functionality I used to have
when using PAW, namely, the ability to manipulate a
"user function" in an ntuple.
Normally, one might draw a variable such as:
lr->Draw("acr")
I was hoping to have a function I could treat as an ntuple variable
which is made up from the lr ntuple variables, such as:
lr->Draw("myfunc.cc","myfunc.cc>10")

While looking on the web, I saw references to this discussion on
RootTalk about one year ago, with Rene Brun promising that this
functionality would be implemented in a newer version. My question
is...
Has anyone achieved this at BLAST and if so, how?
I assume we are using Root v3.02c, but even the release notes for
v3.03/9b do NOT indicate that user functions have been added yet (at
least they dont mention it!).
Any thoughts?

  Also, in another attempt at finding something of a similar
functionality, I found a reference to a function called MakeCode().
Unfortunately, there is virtually no documentation that I could find on
the web regarding this code, but it is CLAIMED that this is capable of
making a user function. Any ideas? Has anyone successfully used this
capability? If so, how?

I could really use this capability as it would allow me to make a
conditional variable in the ntuple, such as:

f= atl/atr if acl>0
                    else
f= atr/atl

lr->Draw("f")