Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] BlastLib2 version 3.0

From: Tancredi Botto (tancredi@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 18:42:46 EST

hi folks...
first thought: great. second thought, below....

> >lrn produces lr, flr, dst and charge file. no need for the cycle of lrn,
> >flrn, charge.C anymore. TB's ep_filter.h is included into the lib, his
> >change on lrn/raw for spin flipper are merged in. charge file format is a
> >little different. but for H2, only difference is in fill by fill charge, i
> >write scaler and inhib charge for fills too. if it becomes a problem, I ll
> >make they identical.

what does it mean? the inhibited charge is measured with a scaler already.
We should be migrating to a fill-by-fill charge anyways so that we can
more easily cut on fill numbers...

The charge file format also matters! It is read by init.C , it is used by
a ~/bin/.rate script . I think it has to be backward compatible !

> >at this moment, fill number of the first fill of each run are not recorded
> >into epics data stream, therefore the first fill of each run appears with
> >number 0 in charge file and dst fill tree. TB says he will fix it or have
> >someone fix it.

should be fixed now actually, I may have no time to see it tonight

we should rather add a check that #-of-coda events is consistent with
#-of-scaler(charge) events. Think of the ROC crashes or ET crashes. IT
would be annoying to go back. What do you think ?

Also, while at it, the raw tof-cuts should "read" B-field and choose cuts
such as *_out(bending) vs *_in(bending).

I think we can have less stuff hardcoded.. but all the features seem there
(including spin flip!)

*LET US NOT COMPILE IT RIGHT AWAY* !!

I'd want to wait at least until the spin flipper stuff is debugged and we
can run head by head comparisons (or have you already ? let's see). In
addition, I do not see the need to integrate in charge.C, that is the only
tool that can give a feel for the experiment independently from
reconstruction.... Particularly since we are going to lrn in a script, so
that it was only a question of adding one line (root -l -b -q charge.C) to
that script. charge.C was relatively fast, it's format was still in
development, waiting for beam spin flip. Until tomorrow we do not
have the right variable built in our spin/helicity-bits "server" and how
that is done has to integrate with the rest of the experiment..... (scaler
and electronics will "force" us to use an additional target bit, such as
N2 or He..).

If things are bundled together in the new lrn.cc we need at least to opt
out of 6hrs of recon cpu-time in order to check luminosities..... but even
then i still don't see the point ! Which is our problem: we want to have
an answer before the data has been crunched.....

I would argue against integration of the filters (that are more time
consuming since we can have many of them....)

-t