Re: [BLAST_SHIFTS] problems with mass HV tripping???

From: Mr. Shannon Krause (skrause@rocko.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 15:25:56 EST

The logic behind having the slits retract when ARF (the Automated Ring Fill
software) is disabled, is to minimize the time required to reestablish
beam in the ring.

Often ARF is disabled, the hall is opened for work, then 10 hours later
some random Chief attempts to inject beam into the ring and can not. There
are 100s of things that can cause this problem and the most common involves
RF or magnets. Only after doing all the obvious trouble shooting would
the crew check the slits and find them inserted. This wasted beam time and
every Chief, including myself was bitten by this same oversight. The
simple solution
to the problem was to have the slits retract when ARF is disabled. Since we
can't deliver production beam without ARF, there seemed no point in leaving
the slits in when not required by the experiment. Likewise, the slits
can be
inserted manually by the crew when ARF is not required.

ARF was modified to include this feature over a year ago and we have not
lost
any beam time due to the "slit in" problem since. The issue of rebooting
the HV control software ioc was not considered at the time and I'm surprised
this wasn't an issue before.

However, we will remove this "slits out on disable" feature from the
software.

We now have the mode selector in EPICS, so we can provide a sophisticated
alarm to alert the crew that the slits are inserted at inappropriate
times and avoid
the "slits in" problem by a new method. The new code will probably be ready
sometime next week or sooner if possible.

Shannon

--
Shannon Krause
Accelerator Operations Group Leader