[BLASTTALK] Fwd: [BLAST_ANAWARE] deadtime

From: Hauke Kolster (hauke@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 12:20:41 EST

In view of another 2 weeks of deuterium running ahead of us
I suggest that we have a look at lowering the target cell
temperature to gain statistics. If as Tancredi wrote earlier
<quote> 2/3 of the events are trackless, and vast majority
of those that track are low-energy "junk" and that this
is attributed to the collimator </quote>
then we could gain 20% in good events by increasing the target
density with out increasing the bad events from the collimator.
The polarization in the deuterium target should be high even
below 70K cell temperature and 70K should be a safe place to
run the target. We had already discussed this a few weeks ago
in a BLAST meeting and I think it is worthwhile to investigate
this soon.

Hauke