[BLAST_SHIFTS] Shift summary 03/31/2004 A (0-4)

From: Electronic Log Book (elog@blast05.lns.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 03:17:51 EST

Operators: vziskin vziskin vziskin

Got beam at around 00:00. Few WC trips but nothing major.
However, the biggest problem right now is CCR0 counting low on the scalers and showing only pedestals in the ADC spectrum in the online gui. Per TB's suggestion I checked the DC offset on the analog adder. It seemed fine. All signals going into the adder are there. The problem tracks with the adder which excludes the cable and subsequent electronics. I found a spare adder in the counting bay and replaced a suspect one, but the problem persisted. Which I think excludes the adder. Could there be something wrong with cerenkovs themselves? Since we ran out of ideas we decided to just keep on running and punt this until the experts come in the morning.

There is one more mystery. We used to have left side counting a great deal more than the right side due to mainly trig 2 (more neutron counter on the right). This seems not to the case right now. It seems that we are cutting out a lot of low energy positive stuff that we usualy get into our acceptance. All neutron counters are showing valid adcs and tdcs in the onlineGui. Had TB not specificaly stated that all subframes were closed I would have started suspecting that a left subframe is not moved all the way in. I'm not sure what to think about this. However, I believe that it needs to be addressed.
I'm including a plot that TB eluded to in his e-mail. The plot is for the yields for all deuterium runs (20 and 45 degrees). Breaks are due to flipper tests, target fields tests and other activity. A gradual rise over time (fill numbers) could still be attributed to better wire chamber efficiency since I'm using WC info in my cuts. A better way would be to use only TOF information in the cuts. If anyone have suggestions, please let me know. A script is rather simple (thanks to our glorious programmers). To use it just type: root yield_by_fill.C #-#.