Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] cpu power !

From: Tancredi Botto (tancredi@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 11:48:36 EDT

> Tancredi, when will be available.

Vitialy, the buds are available now, provided your login environment is
set up as in cvsdir/setup.csh. You have acces to the raw data from 24+8
machines now. You can run montecarlo from any such machine. I have not
compiled libBlast on the buds, but you do not need that.

I am running both nsed and a montecarlo simulation on the buds as we
speak. Both work just fine.

> Also, how do we tell a scratch disk on spud1 from a scratch disk on spud5?

they would be called /net/data/1/scratch and /net/data/5/scratch as they
have been for the last 3 years. So I really do not understand your question.

> Also, there is important issue of back ups. Are the DVD writers functional?
> If so we can back our own stuff occasionaly.

1) It is not the purpose of backing up to back up generated or crunched
   data. That you will do yourself, see below.

2) You back up hoem directories, input files, source code. Not the mere
   product of CPU time. This is of course the daily back up of
   /home/blast/blast by ernie B.

3) The next priority is to back up raw data. We have kept two copies of
   each run on the spud raid arrays. We are now in the process of doing
   a tape backup (to the tune of 1.5 Tbytes) to free up more space

4) There is no practical way that back x10 user directories (10-100's of
   Gbytes of data) on a periodic base. Obviously can't back up your stuff
   only either, right ?

5) I have no simple instructions/advice to give about DVD writing at this
   time other than "man dvdrecord" and the web

6) Me and ernie B are working on DVD writing, with the purpose of
   automatizing it and manage the data flow. BTW, I am trying to import
   the K3b utility and merge in some decent labelling system.

Note: At this rate the spud disks will be just enough (note, with two
copies of each run). Clearly there is a priority to make the raw data
safe.