[Fwd: Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] no timing cuts? (fwd)]

From: jrc@physics.unh.edu
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 17:34:40 EDT

I understand why Pete and Genya are getting different results for the
vector asymmetry in ed elastic scattering. Below is a note that Genya
forwarded to Pete. By only using N1+N2 in the denominator, Genya's
asymmetry includes the tensor polarization in the denominator. N1+N2
is proportional to the cross section multiplied by (1 + P_T*A_T). The
tensor analyzing power is strongly negative, thereby reducing the
denominator and making the apparent asymmetry larger.

On the other hand, I have Pete dividing the same numerator N1-N2 by
the sum of all 6 polarization states, which is just proportional to
the cross section and independent of tensor polarization. Since 4
polarization states are used in the numerator and 6 in the denominator,
the resulting asymmetry is multiplied by 6/4. The reason for extracting
the vector asymmetry this way is obvious. It is independent of the
tensor asymmetry.