Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] hydrogen target polarization vs. z

From: Townsend Zwart (zwart@ROCKO.mit.edu)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 09:09:28 EDT

I am hoping someone (Genya?) will pickup the effort on
installing/instrumenting/understanding the ion clearers downstream of
the target when I am in Germany. A couple of comments. The yield (ion
current) from these devices is completely dominated by the target
thickness. The current 10's of nA seems consistent with ionization cross
sections and earlier yields in the ion polarimeter. The behavior is
very different for polarized and unpolarized operation of the target.
While electronic pickup (error in the instrumentation) is still a
possibility, the yield seems to show a striking strucure at the five
minute interval corresponding to the target flipping frequency. Further
the yield seems to exhibit a behavior with a time constant of a few
minutes. (Thermal in the ABS?) Maybe the recombination rate would affect
the ion current yield....?

We are working on the timing circuit that will identify the mass state,
but this will be a very challenging effort.

                                                            TZ