Re: [BLASTTALK] Abstract

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 05:18:27 EDT

Haiyan and fellow H(e,e'p) enthusiasts,
  I am submitting the following abstract to the BLAST steering
committee, and would appreciate any corrections/suggestions you have.
--thanks, Chris

 + We are undertaking a measurement of $G_E^p/G_M^p$
   - at $Q^2$ = 0.1--0.9 (GeV/c)$^2$
   - in the South Hall Ring of the Bates Linear Accelerator Facility.
 + This experiment uses
   - a highly polarized electron beam,
   - an internal polarized atomic hydrogen gas target
     . with negligible dilution,
   - and the symmetric Bates Large Acceptance Spectrometer Toriod (BLAST)
     . detector package.
 + We exploit simultaneous measurements
     . of the spin-dependent \vec H(\vec e,e'p) asymmetry
     . over all values of $Q^2$
     . in both halves of the symmetric detector
   - to extract the form factor ratio
     . independent of beam and target polarization
     . and insensitive to the spin angle.
 + Recent H(\vec e,e' \vec p) data from Jefferson Lab on the form factor
ratio
   - are inconsistent with previous unpolarized L-T extractions,
     . including a recent high precision H(e,p)e' experiment,
   - indicating the possible importance of the two photon exchange
     . and higher order terms.
 + This experiment is the first precision measurement of $G_E^p/G_M^p$
   - using both polarized beam and target,
   - and has completely different systematics than previous experiments.
 + Preliminary results will be presented.