Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] new monte carlo formalism

From: Simon Sirca (simon.sirca@fmf.uni-lj.si)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 03:07:08 EDT

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Aaron Joseph Maschinot wrote:

> 3) rather than use the reconstruction explicitly on monte carlo data,
> instead just use the reconstruction on real data to find resolutions
> and smear the monte carlo results in accordance

Hopefully it is still not too late for comments regarding the revamping
of Monte Carlo. If I understand it properly, I would feel very reluctant
to proceed along point 3). This is a commonly advocated method but it is
frequently used only to circumvent one's ignorance of the true origin
of resolutions. If one does not understand individual contributions
to the smearings, walking ad hoc in the opposite direction only obscures
the picture further. Dividing a resolution figure by 2 does not equal
deconvolution of two spectra.

Simon

--
  Simon Sirca
  Dept of Physics, University of Ljubljana   Tel: +386 1 4766-574