[BLAST_SHIFTS] Status of the wire chambers

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 23:17:21 EDT

Since the valve in the left sector gas branch has been mounted at
around 3pm and set to half-closed position, we've been taking data on
polarized deuterium.

The drift time spectra on the left and right sectors were monitored
run-by-run with WC_quick.C and printed out in the counting bay.

The right-sector spectra have not improved at all since, showing a
straight slope starting from the peak.

The left-sector spectra remained unchanged as well since we've resumed
data taking at 4pm. However, the spectra are looking worse than the ones of
this morning before the beam was stopped. Worse in the sense that the
plateaus have some trend to decline at the largest drift times, however
not so much that one would call it unusable.

Brian O'Rourke is now on the way to Bates. He will close the valve further
by one quarter, i.e. increasing the left-sector impedance by another
factor 2. We will run like this over night and continue to monitor both
the left and right-sector drift time spectra. It is hoped that this will
help to get the right-sector spectra improved while the left-sector
spectra should remain as they are. Tomorrow things will be newly
evaluated.

Regards,

   Michael

 --