[BLAST_SHIFTS] Shift summary 10/23/2004 A (1-9)

From: Electronic Log Book (elog@blast05.lns.mit.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 10:14:27 EDT

Operator: ajmasch

the valve-closing done to the chambers around midnight appears to have been unsuccessful in fixing the right wc tdc spectra. throughout this shift, the right-side spectra stayed as they were at the beginning of the shift: a fairly linear drop-off to no above-noise signal at far ionization distances. the left-side spectra remained at about 90% of the desired spectra the whole time.

we called michael; it was decided that we should shut off flow to the left sector entirely in an effort to reproduce the test done a couple of days ago which, at the time, fixed the right-side spectra.

with brian's help, we got an access to move the wc gas valve. we moved the valve so that is now faces directly toward the wall with the 10-ton door (i.e. perpendicular to the mezzanine layout). this position completely shuts off the left sector gas flow and makes it all go to the right sector.

hopefully, improvements will appear in the right-side spectra within a few hours. if so, then the gas valve will probably have to be played with some more in order to let some small amount of gas flow back into the left side. for reference, i should point out that, when we entered the hall to move the valve, the valve was initially located so as to form about a 70 degree angle between it and the mezzanine platform (thus, there was a 20 degree angle between the valve and the perpendicular to the wall with the 10-ton door.)

call me if you have any questions, 978-335-2223.

pol deut runs taken:

  12677 12079 12081-12085