Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] hydrogen spin angle

From: John Calarco (jrc@einstein.unh.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 15:48:58 EST

Since it seems that people are lobbying by making "public" statements
about their choice of target spin angle, I seem to have no choice but
to reply.

Facts:

(1) It is not true that Ge/Gm is insensitive to the choice of spin
angle. Chris' analysis of the recent 32 and 45 deg data shows that
the properly normalized errors are reduced by a factor of about 0.7
in going from 32 to 45 deg. This is equivalent to a factor of 2 in
beam time. MC shows even further improvement if we get the equivalent
target polarization at a spin angle of 60 deg.

(2) Ge/Gm is the PAC approved experiment and the one we have promised
to the DOE review committee to complete by the end of 2004.

(3) The parasitic experiments are NOT the PAC approved physics.

It is very clear that the studies in the Delta would prefer the smaller
spin angle, but they are not what is driving the choice. If the upcoming
test at a spin angle of 60 deg (after the 40 kC at 32) shows that the
target polarization is still high, the spokespersons of the approved
program will request to run at that angle. It does not seem reasonable
to compromise the results of an approved program in order to try to
extract physics which we may or may not be able to.

--
John R. Calarco
Dept. of Physics