Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] hydrogen spin angle

From: Hauke Kolster (hauke@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 16:25:08 EST

Let me add a note about the target polarization since there seems
to be some confusion about the expectations. We run the hydrogen
target in single state mode mainly because the polarization in this
mode is high and not affected by the target field. This target was
designed to produce a high polarization even at a 5 Gauss holding
field.

The concerns in the past were based on little understood measurements
of P=0.35 that might have been caused by surface effects -recombination
and possibly relaxation- on the surface that vanished after we arrived
at a all-Drifilm target cell (after removal of the teflon injection
tube) that is protected by a collimator.

In the past week we measured target polarization values between
0.65 and 0.75 dependent on the analysis you look at and person you
talk to, which shows that we are almost in the high polarization
limit near 0.75 that we aimed for. At these polarizations values
there is little room for a significant field dependence and one
expects the same target polarization at a spin angle of 60 deg.

Hauke