[BLAST_SHIFTS] Shift summary 03/20/2005 B (9-17)

From: Electronic Log Book (elog@blast05.lns.mit.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 17:00:01 EST

Operator: kdow

Running ABS deuterium, fill to 225 mA. WC scalers are a bit high (65 at the top of the fill, 35 or less at the bottom -- 157 mA). Lifetime is good, though, as are BQMs. Perhaps some tuning time will be needed this week. For now, a 1 Mevent run lasts 30-35 minutes. The l2t/l1t ratio is about 0.1; at lower currents it was around 0.05. No obvious new hot wires in nwl,nwr or in nsed.

Good runs 14487-14493, 14495-14502. Red needle typically around 450 C/hr except during this morning's guard wire tripping (see below).

Some trouble with analysis of seven runs when the dblast07 copy of the run was deleted while the run was still being crunched. Those 7 runs were resubmitted to the autocruncher, and will be done late morning tomorrow. Due to this problem, no new polarization results are available this shift.

Run 14489 hung while crunching for no apparent reason, and was resubmitted. To cope with the extra load, more buds have been added to the list of available CPUs. Perhaps spud9 can be used also; I haven't tried.

Also some trouble with WC trips. R24 is doing better, now running at 3825 V. But assorted sense or guard trips on L1, L7 and L21 led me to reduce those voltages (L1 to 3825 V, L7 and L21 to 3800 V). I tried to increase L21 to 3825 V, but after 10 minutes or so I had guard trips, and so I went back to 3800 V. On nearly every fill, L7 trips after HV has been at OPER for a minute or so. Sometimes L1 trips instead. Injection looks clean, though. Talked with Doug after the early guard trips, decided if they stopped we wouldn't take the time to turn the beam off for a while.