Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] Asymmetry calculations again

From: Genya (evgeni@mit.edu)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 09:13:16 EDT

       Here are my 2 cents.
        I support completele Doug's conclusion that the best way to
handle multiple sets of
data is to calculate the asymmetry in easc set separately and then sum
them up, with a proper
weighting of course.
      But I still can't take this "correlated asymmetries" thing, even
if we are talking aboit left-right asymmetries.
This approach implies, for instance, that if in the given day there is a
statistical fluctuation, and Left sector
detected more events than usually, then Right sector on this day should
detect less events than usually... which
is obviously wrong.
     The only correlation between counts in the Left and Right sectors
comes from the actual change in the target thickness,
and this correlation is direct rather than inverse... and dont affect
asymmetries anyway.
                            Genya