Re: more on 2005 (e,e'p)n rate

From: Chi Zhang (zhangchi@mit.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 01:03:05 EDT

Hi,

First, to complete the story, ed elastic rates were like the following:
        2004: 0.58/C at average 97.8mA current
        2005: 0.49/C at average 178.6mA (runs with corrected dcct calib)
        2005: 0.63/C at average 84.5mA (runs 16383 to 16433, 100mA Imax)
Genya, Nick and I went through this almost as soon as the runs were
completed so it was a surprise that people are surprised by it a few
months after. Rate drop is also seen in unpol runs where comparable
buffer flow produced lower rate in 2005 than in 2004. So it seems ABS is
OK at least before the gas passed into the storage cell.

Secondly, as Genya suggested, I looked at the pure TOF based ed elastic
again. I hereby report the findings. TOF rate is higher for the 100mA
runs than the 180mA runs immediately before those. This excludes the
speculation that the lowering of event rates going to higher current is
due to tracking inefficiencies.

Following is the detail of this study.

1. TOF timing cuts and coplanary cuts are calibrated with the help of wire
chamber information. These cuts select ed elastic events. TOF paddle
combinations (15,0)-(15,2) and (14,1)-(14,3) and the revese, i.e.
(0,15)-(2,15) and (1,14)-(3,14) are used. The cuts are not all that clean
without the help of WC tracking. Likely 10-20% are e'p events but for
purpose of trigger/WC efficiency study, I believe they are not a problem.

2. runs 16383-16433 are used: I_average= 84.5mA, Q=11220.9C
in comparison to runs 16352-16382: I average=180.8mA, Q=10520.2C

3. events in those paddels passing the TOF timing and coplanary cuts are
counted. charges of tracks have to be assigned but the choice is
obvious. for the low current runs, the "TOF ed elastics rate" was
1.32/C while for the high current runs immediately prior to them, the "TOF
ed elastic rate" was 1.02/C. the relative drop in TOF rate is the
same as the drop in rate with tracking. This excludes tracking efficiency
as the cause of the current dependency of event rates. So seems wire
chamber is also fine.

4. checked the ratio between event rates which: a:coming straight out of
2nd level trigger, b:with # of WC hits between 10 and 80, c:with
reconstructed tracks. b/a is more or less constant and most of the time 1
due to the definition of 2nd level trigger. c/a changed slightly from 95%
to 97% when current is lowered from 200mA to 100mA. The 2% difference is
far from enough to account for the more than 20% change in ed elastic
rates, both pure TOF and with tracks.

5. checked the trigger rate in trigger type I. when current is lowered
from 200mA to 100mA, average beam gate scaler rate dropped by a factor of
2 as expected. In the mean time, the number of 2nd level trigger /C
increased by about 7%. but this is not any larger than the
fluctuations in 2nd level trigger rate under constant running
condition. So this quick check could not identify big changes
in trigger rate that corresponds to the change in final event rates.

Chi