Re: Minutes of the 2006/03/22 Blast analysis meeting

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 12:12:25 EST

Hi Chi,

indeed for my arguments I assumed that the MC I talked about would use the
realistic version of admixed epel+mascarad.
It does not make any sense at all to use only the generated tail.
Therefore, if MASCARAD is to be used for any future results, the admixing
issue has to be resolved.

In regard of determining "residual kinematic corrections" for v3_4_17 in
preparation of the collaboration meeting, I then suggest the following:

Eugene, Adrian:
-keep MASCARAD off
-compare pml,r-pwl,r with ELOSS=on to determine momentum loss for protons
  and electrons (only significant for protons).
-correct measured data for momentum losses (relevant only for protons)
-determine residual dp's and dth's by imposing elastic kinematics.
  In case of electrons, this will "effectively" account for the shift
  (from rad+resol) and for the real "residual" kinematic correction in
  delta_p.
-for all subsequent data analyses, use momentum loss correction + residual
  corrections from above to correct reconstructed data.

Regards,

    Michael

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Chi Zhang wrote:

> [...]
>> meeting:
>> "The higher the resolution with which we looked at the scattered electron
>> energy, the less of a shift we actually saw ... however the centroid does
>> appear shifted because the radiation tail is convoluted with the resolution
>> ... and the amount of shift is resolution-dependent"

>>> This is impossible. the best you can do is:
>>> pwl,r(before RAD+ELOSS) - pwl,r(after RAD+ELOSS)
>>> after binning and averaging pwl,r
>>
>> Can we use the "delta peak" for pml,r(before RAD+ELOSS)?
>> Is pml,r with MASCARAD just the tail, or is it an admixture of the "delta
>> peak" and the Mascarad-tail?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael

>>> This is the case. when comparing pml-pwl, there is no point to do
>>> with/without MASCARAD. The non gaussian shape is a result of the "impact
>>> angle" dependent resolution that is simulated in the blastmc. The
>>> resolution is worse at very forward angle as you can see form the
>>> tossed1.ps. The wiggling, if I remember correctly, is an artifact due to
>>> the non-exact reversion of the cubic t2d/d2t relation used in
>>> recon/blastmc. It is not present when one uses the linear t2d/d2t. but the
>>> size of the wiggles is only 5 MeV anyway.

>>> This is impossible. the best you can do is:
>>> pwl,r(before RAD+ELOSS) - pwl,r(after RAD+ELOSS)
>>> after binning and averaging pwl,r
>>>
>>> I would like to repeat a point I made before. I think we should be careful
>>> reading into Adrian's W plot. The mascarad has a minimum photon energy of
>>> 10MeV!!!!
>>>
>>> I repeat, minimum photon energy 10MeV!!!!
>>>
>>> This means every single event MASCARAD generates emits a photon with
>>> energy
>>> delta peak persists and is only reduced by about 20%. i.e. significant
>>> fraction of the events do not radiate. So all MASCARAD generates is some
>>> kind of tail. Then ofcourse the peak is shifted by about 10MeV but this is
>>> merely an artifact. if you do kinematic correction based on this artifact
>>> ... ...
>>>
>>> On the other hand, it is not clear to me after a few attmept to understand
>>> it, how to reproduce the delta part with MASCARAD. I think MASCARAD
>>> experts should gather and give a better view of what is being generated
>>> and what it means.
>>>
>>> Chi
>>>

>> +-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
>> | Office: | Home: |
>> |-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
>> | Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
>> | Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
>> | MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
>> | Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
>> | Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
>> | Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
>> | Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |

| Office: | Home: |