Re: Minutes of the 2006/03/22 Blast analysis meeting

From: Eugene J. Geis (Eugene.Geis@asu.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 17:41:36 EST

Quoting Michael Kohl <kohlm@mit.edu>:

> Eugene, Adrian:
> -keep MASCARAD off
> -compare pml,r-pwl,r with ELOSS=on to determine momentum loss for
> protons and electrons (only significant for protons).

I have to do this with ELOSS on AND off to determine momentum loss for
protons. which is already done.

> -correct measured data for momentum losses (relevant only for protons)

I sent out 4th degree polynomials of this momentum loss as a function of
p and theta a week ago. I am attaching a plot that shows the v16 (without
extended Bgrid - v17 plot will be available tomorrow) theta_e(theta_p) and
vice versa. I think we might be back to trusting theta based on these plots.
There are 8 of them, they are 2D with Profiles on top. The title of each is
given as:
T(e/p)_T(e/p)T(p/e)_vs_T(e/p)_(0/1)
which can be translated as:
theta_{e/p} - theta_{e/p}(theta_{p/e}) vs. theta_{e/p}
and the particle's sector (the first term) is 0=L, 1=R

>From the profiles it can be seen that the discrepancy is never more than
+0.2 degrees and it stays positive. Since theta_e(theta_p) and it's inverse
are always decreasing functions, any overestimation of theta_e/p will give
the positive discrepancy. This is great because it shows that with our errors
theta_e + dte - theta_e(theta_p+dtp) at its greatest possible propagated
error gives us dte ~ 0.14 degrees.

I have been plotting 2D Chi^2 distributions of Beam Energy as a function of
changes in p_e and theta_e or p_p and theta_p and I'm getting a valley that
shows great variation as a function of theta but minimal variation as a
function of p. This seems to be the case up to the point that I'm pushing
the BeamEnergy sigma(p) outside of a reasonable value.

> -determine residual dp's and dth's by imposing elastic kinematics.

I think: dp(theta_e,theta_p) and 0>dth>-0.15 degrees.

I still don't understand the shift in W from Mascarad, but I'll
try to look into it.

-eugene

> [...]
> would
> >> be shifted significantly less. This is exactly what we had discussed
>
> >> several times, remember BillT reporting at the January collaboration
>
> >> meeting:
> >> "The higher the resolution with which we looked at the scattered
> electron
> >> energy, the less of a shift we actually saw ... however the centroid
> does
> >> appear shifted because the radiation tail is convoluted with the
> resolution
> >> ... and the amount of shift is resolution-dependent"

> RAD+ELOSS)

> >> Can we use the "delta peak" for pml,r(before RAD+ELOSS)?
> >> Is pml,r with MASCARAD just the tail, or is it an admixture of the
> "delta
> >> peak" and the Mascarad-tail?
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Michael

> the
> ~10-15
> on/off.
> been
> pml,r
> pml,r-pwl,r

> "impact
> due to
> but the

> RAD+ELOSS)

> careful
> energy of

> know
> significant
> some
> this is
> artifact

> understand

> generated

> >> +-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
> >> | Office: | Home: |
> >> |-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
> >> | Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
> >> | Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
> >> | MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
> >> | Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
> >> | U.S.A. | |
> >> | - - - - - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - -|
> >> | Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
> >> | Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
> >> | Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |
> >> | http://blast.lns.mit.edu | |
> >> +-------------------------------------+--------------------------+

> +-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
> | Office: | Home: |
> |-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
> | Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
> | Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
> | MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
> | Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
> | Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
> | Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
> | Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |

Eugene Geis
PhD Student, Physics Department, ASU
Research Affiliate, MIT-Bates Laboratory of Nuclear Science
eugene.geis@asu.edu
http://quickreaction.blogspot.com