Minutes of the 2006/05/03 analysis meeting

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Sat May 06 2006 - 00:44:56 EDT

Hi,

below are the minutes of the analysis meeting from Wednesday:

-d(e,e'p): kinematic corrections (AD)
  +Shows for each Q2bin comparisons of measured and simulated electron
   momentum. Differences are up to 2%, at the margin of the
   resolution. Pattern of deviations vs. Q2 is sector-symmetric
  +Note that definition of Q2 in q.e. scattering depends on two
   variables.
  +Shows comparison data/MC for quasifree (pm<0.15) events, expect
   events to be close to the elastic ridge in a p_e-vs-th_e plot,
   attribute deviation to either wrong th_e or p_e or both. Magnitude
   of deviation rather points to momentum (would require several degs.)
  +Parametrizes momentum corrections based on quasifree events
   (pm<0.15) as scale factor with linear dependence in Q2, plots
   measured minus expected electron momentum for entire q.e. event
   sample after applying this correction. Finds remaining deviations of
   ~7-10 MeV.
  +Comparison is new 2004 recrunch v3_4_17 with an older MC which uses
   old geometry however we're looking at physical variables here
  +New MC still has the problem of disappearing yield at small
   angles. There seems to be a dependence on computer architecture
   (=initialization problem?)

  Suggestions:
  +Should apply corrections from ep elastic (Eugene's) to see how well
   they work
  +New MC should make use of spin angle profile
  +Adam: could you also evaluate the target yield-weighted average for
   given spin angle maps, for the d(e,e'p) event sample (see
   discussion on spin angle in separate email)

-Spin angle:
  +No estimate yet of the error of the average spin angle extracted
   from ep elastic asymmetries.
  +Strong dependence on reconstruction likely explains large shift of
   the spin angle recently reported
  +Remember, in the hPz-vs-th_s plot, the two straights for the two
   sectors are almost collinear, while the slopes of the two crossing
   straights in the corresponding Pzz-vs-th_s plot from ed elastic
   have opposite signs, making ed elastic much more robust in
   determining the spin angle against changes in reconstruction.
  +For extraction of form factor ratio, needs to account for profile in
   extraction of observables, use "nominal" spin angle determined by
   Chi (on "average" vs. "nominal" see separate message)
  +Shows target z-distribution of ep elastic yield broken down in
   Q2bins. Not all bins are distributed as naively expected, pointing
   to residual reconstruction errors
  +Shows the same with spin angle profile overlayed and the resulting
   yield-weighted average for each Q2bin. The latter does not(!) vary
   much (<0.2deg) around the yield-weighted average of the entire data
   sample, but note that the z coordinate reconstructed from data may
   not fully reflect reality.
  +Suggestion: Does this negligible variation of yield-weighted
   averages for various Q2bins also hold for MC-generated ep elastic
   target-z yield distributions?

Best regards,

   Michael

+-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Office: | Home: |
|-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
| Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
| Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
| MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
| Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
| Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
| Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
| Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |
| http://blast.lns.mit.edu | |