Minutes of the Blast analysis meeting on Thursday 02/28/2007

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 17:19:36 EST

Hi,
please find the minutes of today's analysis meeting below and in the
meeting directory
http://blast.lns.mit.edu/PRIVATE_RESULTS/USEFUL/ANALYSIS_MEETINGS/meeting_070228/

Best regards
   Michael

Minutes of the BLAST analysis meeting on 2/28 at Bates

General:
-Ulf Meissner, theorist from Bonn, Germany, to visit MIT on March
  8-9. Will give a seminar on the pion cloud of the nucleon on Friday
  March 9 at 3pm in the Kolker room.
  This is important for all BLAST-related physics, in particular for
  people studying elastic and transition form factors of the nucleon,
  and deuteron structure at low Q2.

  Attendance by BLAST people is strongly advised!
  We will make an effort to video-stream the talk via internet. Michael
  will test this today will send instructions.

  Title: The Pion Cloud of the Nucleon: Facts and popular Fantasies
  Abstract: I discuss the concept of the pion cloud surrounding the
  nucleon and other hadrons - and its limitations.
  nucl-th/0701094

-First paper on GEp/GMp published in
  C.B. Crawford et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 98 (2007) 052301

-Collaboration meeting on Fri 3/30 09:00 at Bates
  Agenda will be sent out
  Final reviews of Tavi's and Eugene's results
  Review of results to be presented at the APS conferemce in Jacksonville
  April 14-17, 2007.

Physics analyses:
-GEn: see ppt. Eugene writing thesis, defense on April 9. Montecarlo has
  been fine-tuned for resolution of neutron angle (however there is still
  quite a disagreement in the thetacms yield distributions of MC and
  data) and momentum through propagation of empirical time-of-flight
  resolution. This was supposed to resolve the 1-sigma discrepancy of
  the low-Q2 points with the two methods of fitting pmiss or thetacms
  dependent asymmetries. Further thinking/discussion is needed come to
  a conclusion for the final value and systematic error.
  +how do the corresponding comparison of data/MC versus thetacms look
  like in e'p? ->Adam
  +need final value of hPz (and correlation with thetastar)

-d(e,e'p): see ppt. Adam discussing refined cuts: time correlation for
  three assumed PIDs for the positive tracks, pi+,p,d. Observing deltaT
  peak for each one. Also showing very preliminary hPz vs. Q2 from
  superratio method (no MC!): Kinematic corrections seem to make
  previously observed slope even steeper ... however, this is pending
  on applying proper cuts. In the plot hPz vs. Q2, red triangles = only
  electron momentum is corrected; red circles = momentum corrections
  are shared among electrons and protons; corrections are parametrized
  functions vs.theta_e,theta_p; blue triangles/circles are from last
  collaboration meeting in November 06.

  +need hPz! and the correlation with thetastar. Need to extract hPz
  with Arenhoevel-MC as well and see how the refined cuts and new
  kinematic corrections change the situation.
  +Envisioning to come to a conclusion about hPz by March 30.

-GMn: MIT student Adele Schwab getting started. Joined in January as
  UROP student, now during classes having limited time. Will update
  Nik's analysis with new recrunch data and updated kinematic
  corrections.

-T20: Michael is running Chi's codes; work is in progress.
  Goals for March 30: revised cuts, runlist, T2q results, Pzz, thd

-T11: Peter waiting for Michael's update of T20 and for hPz.

-Pions from proton: Yuan.
-Pions from deuteron: Aki. Needs hPz.
  Pion group will meet on Monday 3/5 11:15am at 26-502.

-p(e,e') inclusive: Tavi postponed defense to April 6; will include
  extraction of E2/M1 and C2/M1 based on MAID2003. Correspondence with
  MAID-author Lothar Tiator (Mainz) on how to vary E2 and C2 in MAID.

+-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Office: | Home: |
|-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
| Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
| Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
| MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
| Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
| Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
| Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
| Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |
| http://blast.lns.mit.edu | |