Minutes of the BLAST pion analysis meeting from 09/18/2007

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2007 - 14:39:15 EDT

Dear colleagues,
per John's request here's a summary of the meeting on the BLAST pion
analyses last Tuesday:

Attending Richard Milner, Bill Bertozzi, Bill Donnelly, Aron Bernstein,
June Matthews, Bob Redwine, Doug Hasell, Michael Kohl, Akihisa Shinozaki,
Yuan Xiao, Octavian Filoti (via speakerphone)

For presentations see
http://blast.lns.mit.edu/PRIVATE_RESULTS/USEFUL/ANALYSIS_MEETINGS/meeting_070918/

Tavi, Aki and Yuan each presented the status of their analysis.

-Inclusive p(e,e') [Tavi]:
  See thesis file Filoti_thesis.pdf
  +extracted inclusive double asymmetries in each BLAST sector AL and AR
  +corrected for empty target yield
  +determined effect of radiative tail from elastic scattering on both
   yield and asymmetry using MASCARAD, corrected asymmetries (Eq. 5.1
   p.112, Figs. 5.1 - 5.11. Figs. 5.8-5.11 are un-radiated asymmetries.
  +defined a grid in W and Q2 (four Q2 bins, several Wbins, for E2/M!
   and C2/M1 only three Wbins: below, on top, above the Delta resonance)
  +for each bin, evaluated kinematic coefficients for AT' and ATL'
  +extracted bin-averaged AT' and ATL' (Figs. 5.12-5.15)
  +showed MC sensitivity of AT' and ATL' to variation of E2/M1 and C2/M1 in
   units of the standard MAID values (Figs. 5.20-5.27)
  +extracted E2/M1 and C2/M1 from chi2 minimization (Fig. 5.28): E2/M1 well
   measured, C2/M1 moderately, situation complementary to OOPS (remarked
   by A. Bernstein)
  +Discussion on error determination not yet settled. Need to properly
   distinguish and determine statistical and systematic errors on:
   sector-asymmetries AL and AR, separated asymmetries AT' and ATL', and
   subsequently on E2/M1 and C2/M1.
  +Figs. 5.67 and 5.68 show results compared to world data (no error bars)

  +Is running more MC data to get a more accurate extraction of E2 and C2.
  +More study of systematic effects (in particular spin angle uncertainty!
   and momentum resolution/residual offsets) on separation of T' and TL',
   subsequently on E2 and C2 is necessary.
  +Note that the chi2 minimization should be done directly with the
   sector-asymmetries, as this avoids additional systematic errors due to
   the separation of T' and TL'.
  +Expect a nice paper in the end;-)

-Exclusive pion production from deuterium [Aki]:
  +Background studies: Compared observed yields in various
   reaction channel with expected yields by using the buffer system for
   calibration of target density: efficiencies not so well known (~20%)
  +Introducing quasifree cut for d(e,e'pi+-): spectator nucleon at rest
  +Yields and beam-vector asymmetries for d(e,e'pi+)nn and d(e,e'pi-)pp
   versus W: good agreement after quasi-free cut with free-nucleon
   asymmetries from MAID
  +Target-vector asymmetry and beam asymmetry versus azimuthal Pmiss angle
   about beam axis: agreement with MAID
  +d(e,e'pi+)nn and d(e,e'pi)pp yield and tensor asymmetries versus missing
   mass: Anti-quasifree cut reveals ^1S_0 singulett state of the nn and pp
   systems. Observing negative tensor asymmetry at the singulett state, in
   qualitative agreement with Pandharipande
  +Coherent d(e,e'd)pi0 reaction versus W: sizable tensor asymmetries over
   entire delta excitation range, in analogy with elastic-T20,T21
  +Summarized radiative effects on asymmetries: are generally much smaller
   than 1%, especially if the electron mass is not neglected
  +is interested to continue his work from Japan, provided network access
   to MIT (good until July 2008)
  +expect papers on radiative effects without electron mass approximation;
   quasifree results for d(e,e'pi+)nn and d(e,e'pi-)pp;
   tensor asymmetries in d(e,e'pi+-) and the singulett state; tensor
   asymmetries in coherent pi0 production.

-Exclusive pion production from hydrogen [Yuan]:
  +summarized status of analysis and thesis writing
  +discussed event selection schemes
  +showed acceptance for good events: Q2 vs W; thetacms vs phi
  +extracted yields and double asymmetries in p(e,e'pi+)n and p(e,e'p)pi0,
   comparing with MAID2003, DMT, and Sato-Lee: generally good agreement
  +described attempts to separate response functions from BLAST data alone.
   We have to conclude that neither statistics nor kinematical coverage are
   sufficient to separate structure functions with precision. Only at very
   forward angle thetacms the azimuthal coverage would be large enough,
   however statistics is then poor, and the respective response functions
   are suppressed by factors of sin(thetacms). Integrating over all angles
   lets only those terms survive that are already present in the inclusive
   reaction, there with much better precision.
  +Hence, Yuan should finish writing his thesis based on sector-asymmetries
   and comparison with pion production models.

Best regards
    Michael

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, John Calarco wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Are you going to send out a summary of the pion meeting?
>

> --
> John R. Calarco
> Dept. of Physics
> Univ. of New Hampshire
> Durham, NH 03824
> phone: (603)862-2088
> FAX: (603)862-2998
> email: calarco@unh.edu

+-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Office: | Home: |
|-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
| Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
| Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
| MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
| Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
| Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
| Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
| Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |
| http://blast.lns.mit.edu | |