7-23 Shift A

From: Bill Franklin (wafrankl@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 09:13:04 EDT

On shift: Bill Franklin, Dipangkar Dutta, Martina Hurwitz, Tim Smith

Studies of Compton polarimeter rates and energy spectra continued. At the
beginning of the shift, the operators were having trouble storing more
than about 40 mA. After the chief tweaked some steering coils in the Ring
injection line, more beam became available. We were able to run the
calorimeter detector and data acquisition with 70 mA and absorbers in. A
crucial consideration is whether the absorbers in the backscatter line
introduce any false asymmetry, and if so, what its energy dependence is.
We took a lot of data on this shift which will allow us to address this
question. The analysis software for the present setup is still catching
up, although significant progress was made overnight.

Wilbur A. Franklin			*  Phone: 617-253-9518
Bates Linear Accelerator Center		*  FAX:	  617-253-9599
P.O. Box 846				*  Email: wafrankl@mit.edu
Middleton, MA 01949			*