Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] monte carlo vertex generation question

From: Aaron Joseph Maschinot (ajmasch@MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 09:06:49 EDT

I should clarify what I said about the default (triangular) vertex
distribution. The triangular distribution works in two steps:

1) Two random numbers, z and rho, are picked. z lies (randomly) within
    -20cm < z < +20cm. rho lies (randomly) within 0 < rho < 1. After
    picking such (random) z and rho values, the following value is computed:
      value = ((1.0 - abs(z)/20.0) > rho)
    If value == 1 (i.e. if (1.0 - abs(z)/20.0) is indeed greater than
    rho), then program execution goes on to step 2); otherwise, step 1) is
    repeated over again.

2) A random value for rho between 0 < rho < 0.5mm is picked. Also a
    random value for theta between 0 < theta < 2*pi is picked. Then the
    (cylindrical) vertex point (rho, theta, z) is assigned, where the z
    value comes from 1).

Thus, 1) incorporates the triangular probability distribution portion; 2)
incorporates choosing the actual vertex point.

Aaron