[BLAST_SHIFTS] trigger MLA mini-tutorial

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 16:15:28 EST

hi everyone,
  since we have had repeated trigger file problems, i thought it would be a
good idea to explain in detail how the MLA works, so we can better debug our
trigger files. if you already know this stuff backwards and forwards, please
exuse the spam!
  the MLU is a memory logic unit, (just like pc memory) with a 65K*16bits
memory bank. each memory slot has an address (labelled 0-65K), and 16 bits
of data. the MLU has 16 inputs corresponding to the address, and 16 outputs
corresponding to the data. so the unit interprets the 16 inputs as an
address, looks up the data at that address, and then outputs that data as 16
binary signals.
  now the MLU gui: it has lines with input/output, which are used to
download the memory in the MLU. each binary digit 'x' actually represents
two lines: one with '0' and one with '1'. thus the line '00000x000x11x000'
actually represent 8 separate words downloaded to the MLU. if one of these
expanded lines is the same as one earlier in the data list, the earlier one
will get overwritten, causing confusing results. the 'x's also make it hard
to see if this is actually hapenning.
  BTW, i modified the gui to warn you if an address gets overwritten.
--chris