Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] electronics for LADS neutron bars

From: Timothy Smith (tim_smith@MIT.EDU)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 15:56:05 EST

Hello Karen,

        At the very worst it means we would need to write
56 lines in the electronics.map file. If it was deemed necessary,
to be neater we could have a LAD section of the parser. We already
parse each detector package slightly differently.

        One question about the "LADS fired" signal. This is a trigger
signal. Will it have the nice "retiming" propreties - or do we
just expect the ToF still to always generate the tigger time?

                                        Tim

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Karen Dow wrote:

> Miro Plesko is designing a special module for the LADS neutron bars
> that will take analog tube signals, discriminate them, AND the bar ends,
> OR all bars, and provide a number of outputs: TDC stops, scalers, and a
> "LADS fired" bit for the sector MLU.
>
> Space constraints on the board will force us to wire the input and
> output signals in a different pattern than the existing TOFs and neutron
> bars. Rather than having all "top" tubes in a group, and all "bottom"
> tubes in another group, LADS will have alternating "top" and "bottom"
> tubes. This has implications for the electronics.map; instead of (LADS
> left top) being in TDC channels 0-27, and (LADS left bottom) in channels
> 32-59, the top tubes will be in channels 0,2,4,6,etc. and the bottom in
> channels 1,3,5,7,etc. Because there are 56 tubes per sector, and the
> ribbon cable comes in groups of 16, we will only use 14 signals per
> cable.
>
> I hope this is not an insurmountable problem, since otherwise the
> module will be much larger, with lots of crossed wires on the pc board.
> Please let me know if you have concerns or objections.
>
> Karen

 Timothy Paul Smith                     Assistant Research Professor
 Dartmouth College                     timothy.p.smith@dartmouth.edu
 Department of Physics and Astronomy          -or- tim_smith@mit.edu
 6127 Wilder Lab.
 Hanover, New Hampshire 03755                   tel:  (603) 646-9346