Re: [BLAST_TOF] TOF gains

From: John Calarco (jrc@einstein.unh.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 20:48:55 EDT

Just a point to consider: it is not clear that matching the gains
to as exact a point as possible is worth the effort, especially
if it will change the timing. The energy resolution of the TOFs
considering their thickness and length is probably of order 20%.
Changing HV by of order 100V will probably result in timing shifts
of order 1-2 ns.

The primary point of matching gains is 2-fold; first to try to make
sure that not too many events of interest exceed full scale, although
these events are NOT lost, they just pile up in the overflow channel.
The only possible issue is that this may skew some PID info, although
thus far, the only PID info from the TOFs has been lower level cuts
to find high pulse height/low energy protons.

The other point is to match the gains reasonably close so that a
common cut can be applied to all TOFs. Is 20% good enough? We have
to think about that. Redoing all the retiming OR stuff would be a
bit of a pain in the you know what.

So let's think about what the needs are before we run off and do
something that's going to generate additional days of work.

--
John R. Calarco
Dept. of Physics