[BLAST_SHIFTS] May 5 Shift A

From: Adam DeGGrush (degrush@mit.edu)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 08:10:46 EDT

Most of the night was spent tuning the beam.

Unable to test minor fixes to HV Gui because route to mysql database
(blast05) through dblast07 does not work. This probably occured due to power
failure. Ernie Bission can probably fix it this morning.

4:00 CCR encountered difficulty in beam tuning due to ring vacuum problems (
high ligit 106,101 and 102 readings). Ernie Ihloff and Chris Vidal came in
and fixed the problem. Beam was then tuned using the beam halo monitors and
the slits were optimized again.

6:00 AM: CCR was able to provide only 100 mA peak current. We took it less
our late night shift became an exercise sine sententia

The beam quality monitors gave the following scaled counts:
Top:800hz/mA
Right:1200hz/mA
bottom:370hz/mA
Left:700hz/mA

CCR did not know of values typical of good beam tune. We took runs with no
gas and with ABS but we believe that we were dealing with a poor beam tune
which led to higher rates than expected and relativelhy porr S/B for the wire
chambers. We have then shut off gas and asked CCR to retune the beam.