Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] user analysis directories

From: Tancredi Botto (tancredi@mitlns.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 16:33:41 EDT

> this is fine but if I'm not wrong accessing the data disks is only
> possible from the spuds* machines.

true. Note: I'd like to hear feedback from somebody who tries it. I think
you need add a link to the file lr_t.h to run the asymmetry.

> Do you think it would cause too much
> network traffic to enable read acces from other nodes at Bates? At least
> people could get local copies of selected runs or those they want to
> analyze in more detail on their machines (or notebooks).

possible, I really would not know. But how many analyses we have at the
same time ?

> My experience tells me that analyzing via the ethernet doesn't kill
> the network as long it is fast ethernet.
>
> Presently, to get local copies of runs or root ntuples requires some tricks.

And that is beyond our control as it derives from an MIT regulation.
However I know that ernie plans to add a faster gateway machine and that
from bates we can set direct network routes to the dblast node.

For off-site and laptops i'd recommend to get a copy of the runs. This
may be painful with a slow connection but fine with at least a DSL
connection. There is a cd burner, and it should fit many flr files.