Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] computers etc.

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 06:38:45 EDT

Tancredi Botto wrote:

>>by the way, dblast13 and dblast14 used for status display are 3GHz. right
>>now, we have 2 3GHz CPU's that are constantly 0% used.
>>

>that is indeed the plan, as mentioned. So you should expect ca. 7.5 spuds
>free. I already asked ernie for it although I could probably nfs mount
>myself right now. dblast09 and 08 are also faster than the spuds in terms of cpu
>The only point: I don't want to start auto crunching and walk away ok ? I
>still did not manage to compile a static lrn version.
>

>>Finally, could any one disable the screen saver on dblast13 and dblast14?
>>is there a reason that status display should go out and we must touch the
>>mouse every hour? it is sort of against the purpose of monitering the
>>system all the time, right?
>>

>right, although not a dramatic problem. There is no (immediate) way to
>disable this feature for dblast13/14 only. It will also be disabled on all
>other computers. To tell you truth, I've tried already to play with the wm
>but it does not want to do it (..) . Making a switch in the gnome
>settings is definitely hairy business (thanks to gnome) and would bring a
>lot of computers "down" and misery. I guess it is just easier to pop up an
>xclock every hr if hostname=dblast13 and physrun_started

i think it is actually a hardware powersave mode (BIOS, C-d at startup),
and not a software screensaver, could it be?

>will take care of all of the above, including terminal space.

actually, i was serious about slapping keyboards ($20), mice ($50, make
them good ones!) and monitiors (maybe the ones we replaced with fancy
lcd dislays) on the spuds. quick fix, and we could have 8 extra
terminals! technically we would not have a farm anymore, but i'll bet
the impact on performance would be minimal. it would be a lot easier on
the network, too, since we 'ssh spudX' right off the bat anyways.

--chris