[BLAST_SHIFTS] Shift summary 02/08/2004 C (8-12)

From: Electronic Log Book (elog@blast05.lns.mit.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 12:10:48 EST

Operators: franklin karpiusp hasell

The goal of this shift was to set up to take data with unpolarized hydrogen without the BLAST field for purposes of calibration.

Shift started with tuning in Ring. By 8:00, ops had beam in Ring. The 50 mA
limit was apparently exceeded during overnight tuning and they were running up to 80 mA. Hopefully cell will not be affected. Lifetime is about 40 minutes with slits out. Part of shift was spent setting up slits and steering coils for target and upstream. Lifetime drops to about 25 minutes with slits in (positions and rates documented in Peter's note).

Once we were satisfied with tune, we started the unpolarized gas flow. This took a while since the procedure has changed with the addition of the buffer system (again see notes). We are running with buffer system in a temporary mode (see Aki's note for instructions). We chose a setpoint of 1.0 Torr for the buffer pressure. This gives a LIGIT pressure of about 8*10^-8, although it does not seem to reproduce very well when buffer refills.

There is a problem with the Fastbus power supply. Doug has contacted the Controls Group and Alan Carson is coming in to work on it. This must be addressed before data can be taken.