Re: [BLAST_SHIFTS] Shift summary 02/25/2004 A (0-4)

From: Bill Franklin (wafrankl@mit.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 07:40:55 EST

Vitaliy,

Look, all of us want the experiment to run well. While frustration with
problems that we've had is understandable, especially if you're
consistently spending nights here trying to get thesis data, posting
cynical profanity-laced messages to the log book and e-mail list is
counterproductive. I think everyone realizes the importance of getting as
much quality data as possible while the beam is available and the present
transmitter problem underscores that. The fact is that aside from last
night, the accelerator has been running well since we came back from the
shutdown. The data that have been taken on deuterium look encouraging.
Devoting a few hours of beam time to needed calibrations and consistency
checks before running for days and weeks on end can go a long way. Keep
your head up.

Bill

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Electronic Log Book wrote:

> Operators: ajmasch vziskin vziskin
>
> Some shit broke again. Called in the experts. Will take all night to
> fix. Typical. Can't remember last time we ran for 24 hours straight.
> The guys in the CCR tell me they used to run for days on end before
> BLAST. Somehow, it seems to make all the sense in the world. They will
> fix this problem just in time to open up the hall for more work. And
> them something else will trip, rip, crap out or burn. One more
> question, how come we shield a left cerenkov wall and the right cerenkov
> wall becomes more efficient. Or is this one of those BLAST misteries.
> I think that's it. F**k it , I'm going home.

Wilbur A. Franklin			*  Phone: 617-253-9518
Bates Linear Accelerator Center		*  FAX:	  617-253-9599
P.O. Box 846				*  Email: wafrankl@mit.edu
Middleton, MA 01949			*