[BLAST_SHIFTS] new tune for compton/Blast

From: Manouch Farkhondeh (manouch@mit.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 16:55:53 EDT

Today, a new SHR beam tuned was developed (L. Loncoy, Jan van der Lan,
B. Franklin...) that is the best so far for satisfying both the Compton
rates and the experiment with ABS. We may indeed be able to use this
tune at all time as the wire chamber scalers rates and the BQM rates
are reasonable even at 150 mA injected current.

Karen (the current run coordinator) in her last email wrote:

"".. If the tune is not clean enough for the experiment, more work
may be done on the tune. We should be no more than 25% dead at the top
of
the fill, and the wire chamber scalers should read 20 or less at the top
of
the fill. If the tune is not satisfactory, we should ask to go back to
the
tune we had overnight.""

I would like to REVISE her instructions by emphasizing that we should
run at least for one shift to give this tune a chance and the
chief/accelerator physicists to adiabadically improve the current tune.
After a shift, if the tune seems intolerable we may only then decide to
switch back to the previous tune we have been using.

Manouchehr
Manouchehr Farkhondeh manouch@mit.edu
Principal Research Scientist
Division Head of Physics, Accelerator
MIT, Bates Linear Accelerator Center tel (617)253-9298
Middleton, MA 01949 fax (617) 253-9599