Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] luminosity

From: Richard Milner (milner@mitlns.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 09:13:30 EDT

Zilu,
I continue to lack an understanding of why the reported
uncertainties on preliminary data and projected uncertainties for 300-600
kC for the T20 measurement are so much larger than the proposal. We are
talking about at least an order of magnitude in figure of merit. I have
last night read your proposal again. The stated assumptions are
luminosity = 1 X 10^32 atoms/cm^2
pzz=0.7

This morning I have gone over the best understanding of the ABS operating
parameters with Genya. Since the last shutdown Genya reports

flux of deuterium atoms = 3 X 10^16 atoms/sec
target thickness = 8 X 10^13 atoms/cm^2
luminosity at 100 mA = 5 X 10^31 cm^-2 s^-1
pzz =0.6 to 0.7

If the calculations of the proposal uncertainties is correct, then we
should be projecting uncertainties much closer to those in the proposal.
The GEn analysis supports the target parameters reported by Genya as
Vitaliy is reporting uncertainties consistent with the proposal.

It is essential that we understand this. Genya is looking into the
calculation of the uncertainty.

Richard